Cast Gallery catalogue number: C077
Athena wearing a helmet and aigis, her left hand resting on a shield in which a snake is coiled. The shield, and the base on which she stands, are decorated with relief figures.
- Plaster cast: Height: 42cm.
- Copy of an unfinished marble statuette.
- The statuette:
- is a version (probably 3rd century) of Pheidias' original colossal gold and ivory Athena Parthenos of about 440 BC.
- was found near the Pnyx in Athens in 1859, and identified by the French scholar Lenormant.
- is now in Athens, National Museum, 128.
Look at casts showing Athena
Copyright © 2003-2013 Classical Art Research Centre, University of Oxford