Ashmolean Long Gallery

The Long Gallery (about 1890)
The Long Gallery today
  • [View larger image]
    The Long Gallery in 1999.
    Photograph: Beazley Archive, Ian Hiley

Plaster casts from classical sculpture stood in the Long Gallery leading from the Great Staircase towards the West Wing. They can be seen in this photograph of about 1890 when the number of plaster casts from Greek and Roman sculpture was greatly increased. At the end of the 19th century the collection was exhibited in another part of the museum and the Arundel Collection of marble sculpture, dating from the early 17th century, was exhibited in the Long Gallery, known today as the Randolph Gallery.