On the walls of the building's West Wing, Cockerell placed plaster casts of the Parthenon frieze. They can just be seen in this
etching of about 1850, and, more clearly, in the photograph below. The casts shown in this etching are from Sir Francis Chantrey's
19th century marble sculptures.
- West Wing of the museum today.
Photograph: Beazley Archive, Ian Hiley
The West Wing was redeveloped in 1997 to house the Museum Shop and a new entrance with access to the restaurant below. This
photograph shows the frieze at the southern end of the West Wing as it appears today.