The temple of Athena Parthenos on the Acropolis at Athens, started in the early 5th century BC, but re-designed and completed under Perikles, about 450-430 BC. Iktinos was the architect, and Pheidias was the principal designer of the sculpture. It was the greatest and most subtle of all Greek classical temples. Its rear room housed a Treasury, and it was the goal of the annual Panathenaic processions, but had no altar of its own, the older Athena Temple altar being used.
Above: View of the Parthenon from the north-west. © S. Mavrommatis Licence Plate 11 UK 1007 180